Holy Comforter Episcopal Church History
Click Here to read the 50th Anniversary (1953-2003) Historical Account
On April 2, 1953, a petition was signed at Alfriend Hall, St. John's Church, Tallahassee, requesting organization of a mission. Church of the Holy Comforter was selected as the name. On April 28, 1953 a meeting was held with the Rt. Rev. Frank A. Juhan. Ground was broken on Pentecost, May 24, 1953, at the church property on Miccosukee Road that was given by Mrs. Margaret Hood of Goodwood. Bishop Juhan, the Rev. Jeffrey Alfriend, and the Rev. Vernon Quigley participated.
On October 21, 1953, an organizational meeting was held at Kate Sullivan School. The first service was Advent Sunday, November 29, 1953, at the school. Arthur Platt was layreader. Holy Communion was celebrated on January 3, 1954, for the first time; the celebrant was the Rev. Walter Morley. In May, 1954, construction on the new building began. On July 1, the Rev. Sandy Anderson was Priest-in-charge. First services in the new building began on July 11, 1954. The building was dedicated on October 31, 1954.
In May, 1955, a Rectory at 1467 Crestview Avenue was purchased. The Rev. Frank Pisani began his work as minister-in-charge on June 19, 1955. On November 20, 1955, the Articles of Association for parish status in the Diocese of Florida were presented and signed. Achieving parish status after being a mission for such a short time was unusual. The Articles were approved in December, and Holy Comforter Church was admitted as a Parish in January, 1956. The Rev. Frank Pisani was called as Rector, assuming this position formally following his ordination to the Priesthood on February 13, 1956.
Ground was broken for an educational building, nave, and church extension on May 16, 1956. The church sanctuary at 1500 Miccosukee Road was completed in the late 50's and dedicated on February 14, 1960. The additional educational space and chapel were built in the early 70's.
The church property on Miccosukee Road was sold in February, 2003, and planning began in earnest for the building of the new church structure on the Fleischmann Road campus with the school. The new sanctuary was dedicated in the fall of 2007.
Rectors serving Holy Comforter have been: The Revs. Frank W. Pisani, James Hardison, William C. Harris, George D. Kontos, F. Thomas Crittenden, Ted Monica, Teri Monica, and most recently Fr. Jerry Smith was named Priest in Charge in the Spring of 2016.
Assistant Rectors have been: The Revs. Michael Hesse, Richard Moore, Robert Marsh, William Finlaw, Shari Hobby, and Teri Monica.
Deacons serving Holy Comforter have been: James Weber and Deacon Emeritus Lucene Birch.
Holy Comforter School began in 1955 with Kindergarten. Classes were added through the years, and the school now offers education from Pre-K through eighth grade on the campus at 2001 Fleischmann Road.